The Sunlight On Mr Eko's Stick
thinbluemime
2007-03-01 19:50:00 UTC
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I pretty sure if we follow it=
, =

it will lead us right to him"

Sayid explains, "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick, whe=
n =

John was burying him"

Can anyone explain this in simple terms?

-- =

http://users.newblog.com/thinbluemime/?blogcategory_id=3D218
tdciago
2007-03-01 19:54:26 UTC
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I pretty sure if we follow it, �
it will lead us right to him"
Sayid explains, "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick, when �
John was burying him"
Can anyone explain this in simple terms?
I thought Sayid was just referring to the message "Lift up your eyes
and look north John." It's possible that the shadow cast by the stick
pointed to a certain bearing close to north. 325 maybe?
thinbluemime
2007-03-01 20:06:16 UTC
Post by tdciago
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I pretty sure if we follow it, �
it will lead us right to him"
Sayid explains, "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick, when �
John was burying him"
Can anyone explain this in simple terms?
I thought Sayid was just referring to the message "Lift up your eyes
and look north John." It's possible that the shadow cast by the stick
pointed to a certain bearing close to north. 325 maybe?
I don't know. After watching the scene several times, the dialog still
sounds like gibberish. I took it to mean Locke figured out a literal
physical direction from the stick kinda pointing in a real physical
direction, but maybe they meant in a figurative direction. Sayid did not
seem too convinced, if I read him correctly.
http://users.newblog.com/thinbluemime/?blogcategory_id=218
r***@bestweb.net
2007-03-02 02:04:55 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Post by tdciago
Post by thinbluemime
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I pretty sure if we follow
it, ?
it will lead us right to him"
Sayid explains, "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick,
when ?
John was burying him"
I thought Sayid was just referring to the message "Lift up your eyes
and look north John." It's possible that the shadow cast by the stick
pointed to a certain bearing close to north. 325 maybe?
I don't know. After watching the scene several times, the dialog still
sounds like gibberish.
To me too. They've always known which way north was, or if they
didn't, they were idiots. But how would that help them anyway?
Post by thinbluemime
I took it to mean Locke figured out a literal
physical direction from the stick kinda pointing in a real physical
direction, but maybe they meant in a figurative direction. Sayid did not
seem too convinced, if I read him correctly.
I too had trouble telling whether he was being sarcastic and humoring
Locke.

I eventually concluded that the "help" Kate had been looking for was
from Rousseau. But how would she know where to find Rousseau, who's
had no known fixed location since blowing up her shack? And how did
she happen to run into Locke & Sayid too, if they didn't know where to
intercept her? (My friend John suggested one or more of them might've
been checking Rousseau's trap locations.)

And why would Locke say (indirectly, using Kate's words) that he (and
by implication Sayid) had no motivation to find Jack, considering all
that's passed between them?

Robert
Robert
2007-03-02 16:07:13 UTC
Post by r***@bestweb.net
I eventually concluded that the "help" Kate had been looking for was
from Rousseau. But how would she know where to find Rousseau, who's
had no known fixed location since blowing up her shack? And how did
she happen to run into Locke & Sayid too, if they didn't know where to
intercept her? (My friend John suggested one or more of them might've
been checking Rousseau's trap locations.)
Kate was checking Rousseau's trap locations. Just before Locke and
Sayid approach Kate is examining the remains of one of her net traps
-- probably the net trap that she and Jack were in.

As for Locke and Sayid, they were proabably following her. Locke does
know how to do that, if you remember.
Garondo Marondo
Have you never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?
berg
he had a feeeeeeeeeeling.
Ron
2007-03-01 20:18:10 UTC
Post by Garondo Marondo
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I pretty sure if we follow it,
it will lead us right to him"
Sayid explains, "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick, when
John was burying him"
Can anyone explain this in simple terms?
Have you never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?
I wondered the same thing. So instead of asking another question, why
not just answer the original question if you know the answer. <sheesh>
Garondo Marondo
I secretly work on Lost, we're only allowed to give more questions.
Adam Corolla
LOL he doesn't have a clue, he's just trying to sound smart.
Garondo Marondo
2007-03-02 21:08:00 UTC
Post by Adam Corolla
Post by Ron
Post by Garondo Marondo
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I pretty sure if we follow it,
it will lead us right to him"
Sayid explains, "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick, when
John was burying him"
Can anyone explain this in simple terms?
Have you never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?
I wondered the same thing. So instead of asking another question, why
not just answer the original question if you know the answer. <sheesh>
LOL he doesn't have a clue, he's just trying to sound smart.
No, I believe it was a direct reference to the sun light going through
the shaft in the underground tomb in Raiders of the lost Ark.
Adam Corolla
2007-03-05 23:38:16 UTC
Post by Garondo Marondo
Post by Adam Corolla
Post by Ron
Post by Garondo Marondo
Post by thinbluemime
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I pretty sure if we
follow
it,
it will lead us right to him"
Sayid explains, "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick, when
John was burying him"
Can anyone explain this in simple terms?
Have you never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?
I wondered the same thing. So instead of asking another question, why
not just answer the original question if you know the answer. <sheesh>
LOL he doesn't have a clue, he's just trying to sound smart.
No, I believe it was a direct reference to the sun light going through
the shaft in the underground tomb in Raiders of the lost Ark.
You mean Sayid was referencing that scene (or his statement was meant to?)
I thought he was being serious.
J***@webtv.net
2007-03-01 20:24:39 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Locke said, "We got a compass bearing. And I
pretty sure if we follow it, it will lead us right to
him"
Sayid explains, "Because of the way the
sunlight hit Mr Eko's stick, when John was
burying him"
Can anyone explain this in simple terms?
It's quite simple.... I took this off of a site, on the subject.
..Jon

Which way is north? Whether you're lost in the woods or you're trying to
install a sundial in your yard, you're bound to want to find true north
from time to time, and chances are when the time comes you won't have a
compass. What's more, even if you do have a compass, it will point to
magnetic north, which, depending on your location in the world, can vary
a great deal from true north. So what's an intrepid explorer to do? Read
this article to find several different ways to find your way.
Steps
The Shadow-Tip Method
Place a straight stick straight upright in the ground so that you can
see its shadow. Alternatively, you can use the shadow of a fixed object
that is perpendicular to the ground. Nearly any object will work, but
the taller the object is, the easier it will be to see the movement of
its shadow, and the narrower the tip of the object is, the more accurate
the reading will be. Make sure the shadow is cast on a level, brush-free
spot.
Mark the tip of the shadow with a small object, such as a pebble, or a
distinct scratch in the ground. Try to make the mark as small as
possible so as to pinpoint the shadow's tip, but make sure you can
identify the mark later.
Wait 10-15 minutes. The shadow will move approximately from west to east
in an arc which depends on your latitude and the season.
Mark the new position of the shadow's tip with another small object or
scratch. It will likely move only a short distance.
Draw a straight line in the ground through the two marks. This is an
east-to-west line.
Stand with the first mark (west) on your left, and the other (east) on
your right. You are now facing approximately toward true north.
(Accuracy improves as your location approaches the equator, and as the
time of year approaches either equinox.)
thinbluemime
2007-03-01 20:47:08 UTC
Post by J***@webtv.net
It's quite simple.... I took this off of a site, on the subject.
..Jon
Thanks Jon for the reply. OK, Let's say John Locke has now found "North"=
.

How does he know where Jack is? Is he assuming Jack is somewhere North?

The last time I remember seeing Jack, he was not on the same Island as =

Locke.
And Kate knew this and relayed it to Sayid and Locke before she stomped =
=

off into the bush.

For my sanity sake, for the time being, I am going to assume Locke is =

talking to the Island again, or the Island is leading him with the help =
of =

Eko's new and inproved Jesus stick-sun dial combo 2000 :)

-- =

http://users.newblog.com/thinbluemime/?blogcategory_id=3D218
J***@webtv.net
2007-03-01 21:53:04 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Thanks Jon for the reply. OK, Let's say John
Locke has now found "North".
How does he know where Jack is? Is he
assuming Jack is somewhere North?
I hate to get back into this as there's a few references in the episodes
that suggest the Others are North. ...But then there's the map... And in
this episode, Hurley up by Libby's grave with the sun setting on the
left, and in behind him (as where they film it), indicating the Lostie's
camp is on the North shore. Of course, there is the possibility, as
I mentioned before, that they are going back in time, and the sun is
actually setting in the East -- but that's a long shot. ...I guess
we'll have to see what Locke comes up with.

Knowing which way is North isn't much help, in my opinion, if you don't
know where to look.
Post by thinbluemime
The last time I remember seeing Jack, he was
not on the same Island as Locke.
And Kate knew this and relayed it to Sayid
and Locke before she stomped off into the
bush.
To me, it would seem logical, that they'd head out to the hydra island
first. But then, having only the one boat, and going by what Karl said,
I think the whole idea of seeking out Danielle, is to question her as to
what she knows about the island they're currently on. ..Jon
thinbluemime
2007-03-01 22:25:13 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
The last time I remember seeing Jack, he was
not on the same Island as Locke.
And Kate knew this and relayed it to Sayid
and Locke before she stomped off into the
bush.
To me, it would seem logical, that they'd head out to the hydra island=
first. But then, having only the one boat, and going by what Karl sai=
d,
I think the whole idea of seeking out Danielle, is to question her as =
what she knows about the island they're currently on. ..Jon
I think a wait and see attitude here, would be best. I too, do not want =
to =

go round and round again (like Jack did when he called out the others, o=
r =

like the Jesus statue did on Hurleys dinning room table).

I went round and round with Melroseman about a year ago, when Arzt was =

indicating NORTH was away from the waterline at the Lostie beach. All th=
e =

time the wind was blowing , IMO, FROM the North.

Anyway, lets see where Locke goes....A Locke-a-Bout is always an =

adventure, LOL

-- =

http://users.newblog.com/thinbluemime/?blogcategory_id=3D218
J***@webtv.net
2007-03-02 00:25:28 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Anyway, lets see where Locke goes....A
Locke-a-Bout is always an
adventure, LOL
"Locke-a-bout" ...LOL.. Love it -- Haven't heard that one before..
.Jon
Drew Lawson
2007-03-02 19:30:04 UTC
Post by J***@webtv.net
It's quite simple.... I took this off of a site, on the subject.
..Jon
Thanks Jon for the reply. OK, Let's say John Locke has now found "North".
How does he know where Jack is? Is he assuming Jack is somewhere North?
I believe this is a matter of Locke's interpretation of the situation
and events. When Locke is driving in Eko's stick to use as a marker,
the sun shines on it and Locke sees: "Lift up your eyes and look
north." Under that is carved, "John 3:05." The first quote is NOT
from John.

So speculation is that Locke read this as an answer to his quest,
"Lift up your eyes and look north, John."

It is fuzzy to me, as "north" is a lot of territory, and Otherville
looks like it may be in terrain that they would go around on their
trek. But I'm sure it will pull together somehow.
--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
|***@furrfu.com | you're part of the precipitate. |
|http://www.furrfu.com/ | |
r***@bestweb.net
2007-03-03 05:05:51 UTC
[http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Image:Ekosstick_looknorth.jpg]
So speculation is that Locke read this as an answer to his quest,
"Lift up your eyes and look north, John."
We've wondered about this for months. So I would guess Locke is
taking 305 as a bearing in degrees from north, which would make it a
little W of northwest.
Richard DeLuca
2007-03-01 23:01:28 UTC
Post by J***@webtv.net
[...]
That's very good, Jon, especially the part about accuracy improving near
the equator and near either equinox.

Another way:
At night, the stars that move in the tightest circles are nearest north.
Any star that doesn't move at all, is directly over one of the celestial
poles, or therefore due north or south. At least, in the real world!
Bob
2007-03-01 23:22:48 UTC
"Richard DeLuca" <***@nospamstny.rr.com> wrote in message news:odyssey-***@johnf2.biosci.ohio-state.edu...
<snip>>
Post by Richard DeLuca
At night, the stars that move in the tightest circles are nearest north.
Any star that doesn't move at all, is directly over one of the celestial
poles, or therefore due north or south. At least, in the real world!
Yikes, that would be hard to detect ... in N Hemisphere, just find Polaris
... S Hemisphere use the Southern Cross ... much easier.
Richard DeLuca
2007-03-02 01:45:52 UTC
Post by Bob
<snip>>
Post by Richard DeLuca
At night, the stars that move in the tightest circles are nearest north.
Any star that doesn't move at all, is directly over one of the celestial
poles, or therefore due north or south. At least, in the real world!
Yikes, that would be hard to detect ... in N Hemisphere, just find Polaris
... S Hemisphere use the Southern Cross ... much easier.
Absolutely true, Bob; I got carried away there..........:-)

But many people wouldn't know Polaris from Sirius, and very few can pick
out the Southern Cross. In fact if you ask the typical person to point
out the North Star, many will point to the brightest star. On the other
hand, anyone, given time, could see which stars are moving the least.

It also occurs to me that many can pick out Orion's Belt, and it's
visible from almost any spot on Earth. The upper star in Orion's Belt
ALWAYS rises exactly in the east and sets exactly in the west, unlike
the Sun.
ZuMaMa
2007-03-02 02:22:16 UTC
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:45:52 -0500, Richard DeLuca
Post by Richard DeLuca
It also occurs to me that many can pick out Orion's Belt, and it's
visible from almost any spot on Earth. The upper star in Orion's Belt
ALWAYS rises exactly in the east and sets exactly in the west, unlike
the Sun.
Orion is NOT visible from South America until you get up North of
Lima, Peru. I lived for five years in Santiago, Chile, and some of
the most stunning moments down there came while watching the sky. I
was astounded by the night sky: it was totally different! Even the
face of The Man in The Moon was unfamiliar.

Orion is not visible in Santiago. The Southern Cross is quite
spectacular, but much smaller than the Big Dipper. I spent hours
looking at it.
Richard DeLuca
2007-03-02 11:49:33 UTC
Post by ZuMaMa
Orion is NOT visible from South America until you get up North of
Lima, Peru. I lived for five years in Santiago, Chile, and some of
the most stunning moments down there came while watching the sky. I
was astounded by the night sky: it was totally different! Even the
face of The Man in The Moon was unfamiliar.
Orion is not visible in Santiago. The Southern Cross is quite
spectacular, but much smaller than the Big Dipper. I spent hours
looking at it.
I've watched the Southern Cross for hours on end myself, year after
year, from the Florida Keys. And you're correct, it's tiny- the
smallest of the 88 modern constellations.

Orion on the other hand is a huge constellation. And since Orion's belt
lies right on the celestial equator, at least one half of Orion is
visible from anywhere in the southern hemisphere, even from Antarctica
and the south pole.
Richard DeLuca
2007-03-02 21:29:14 UTC
Post by ZuMaMa
Orion is NOT visible from South America until you get up North of
Lima, Peru. I lived for five years in Santiago, Chile, and some of
the most stunning moments down there came while watching the sky. I
was astounded by the night sky: it was totally different! Even the
face of The Man in The Moon was unfamiliar.
Orion is not visible in Santiago. The Southern Cross is quite
spectacular, but much smaller than the Big Dipper. I spent hours
looking at it.
ZuMaMa, I'm going to respond to your remarks again, because something
just occurred to me.

From Santiago, Orion is fully visible and walks the northern horizon for
about half the year, highest in southern hemisphere summer, although on
his head. And I think you knew that....:-)

It's plain that you are familiar with the stars, so.......I'd bet that
your mention of Orion not being visible from Santiago may have been a
typo, and that you really meant to say Ursa Major (Big Dipper) is never
visible from Santiago. And that of course is correct.
Richard DeLuca
2007-03-02 02:23:19 UTC
In article
Post by Richard DeLuca
Post by Bob
Yikes, that would be hard to detect ... in N Hemisphere, just find Polaris
... S Hemisphere use the Southern Cross ... much easier.
Absolutely true, Bob; I got carried away there..........:-)
But many people wouldn't know Polaris from Sirius, and very few can pick
out the Southern Cross. In fact if you ask the typical person to point
out the North Star, many will point to the brightest star. On the other
hand, anyone, given time, could see which stars are moving the least.
It also occurs to me that many can pick out Orion's Belt, and it's
visible from almost any spot on Earth. The upper star in Orion's Belt
ALWAYS rises exactly in the east and sets exactly in the west, unlike
the Sun.
Blah, blah, blah.....
I did it again, didn't I? I'll stop now...........8*}
Bob
2007-03-02 21:20:32 UTC
Post by Richard DeLuca
Blah, blah, blah.....
I did it again, didn't I? I'll stop now...........8*}
Well, I thought it was good stuff ... totally off topic but what the heck?

Bob
Adam Corolla
2007-03-02 13:04:27 UTC
Post by J***@webtv.net
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
If you aren't pretty close to the equator, then the shadow-tip method
doesn't work unless the sun is near its zenith (around noon.) A better
variation on the shadow-tip method would be to mark the shadow every 15
minutes or so from mid-morning to mid-afternoon. You'll either have an arc
or a straight line intersecting the stick. If it's an arc, line up the
stick with the closest point on the arc, and that will be north... or south,
depending on your latitude and the time of year. Since you know approximate
east and west from sunrise and sunset, you can figure out which way your
line points.
Dan Owen
2007-03-01 20:50:59 UTC
I didn't get this either. Eko's stick said "look north" but they have no way
of knowing which way is north because compasses don't work (as evidence in
season 1 by Sayid). Maybe the writers have forgotten this vital piece of
info -- which would be a huge error on their part as the magnetic properties
of the island are pretty crucial to the series!

--
Dan

www.danowen.blogspot.com

Adam Corolla
2007-03-05 23:43:46 UTC
Post by Dan Owen
I didn't get this either. Eko's stick said "look north" but they have no way
of knowing which way is north because compasses don't work
You don't really think using a compass is the only way to tell which way
north is, do you?