Twilight Zone/Outer Limits episode in a dolls house
billybonkeye
2006-09-11 16:05:23 UTC
Does anyone recall an episode of one of the above where an all american
family woke up and found that their house seemed to be surrounded by
some sort of concrete/metal container? It gave me the creeps. They
spent the whole episode trying to get out of the doors and windows,
using amongst other things an axe and trying to drive the family car
through the garage door to break out.

I remember watching loads of TZ and OL when i was young on late night
UK tv, but the 2 that stick in my mind as being the most scary was this
one and the monster on the aeroplane wing one. I recall it was also
getting hotter and hotter and they started to lose strength and the use
of their limbs. Towards the end they found a sticky mess coming down
the chimney into the house, the last very weird scene is a young girl
in strange (futuristic?) clothing lifted the house out of a heating
duct and the viewers realised that it was her dolls house that her
older brother had hidden away for a joke. The sticky mess was a candy
bar that had fallen in with the house and melted over it. We then saw
that the family inside were actually dolls and that their loss of limb
movement was because they were melting!

It left me pretty shaken as child and ive always remebered it. Would
this sort of scenario be too simple a solution to the LOST plot?

BB
Steven L.
2006-09-11 16:39:25 UTC
Post by billybonkeye
Does anyone recall an episode of one of the above where an all american
family woke up and found that their house seemed to be surrounded by
some sort of concrete/metal container? It gave me the creeps. They
spent the whole episode trying to get out of the doors and windows,
using amongst other things an axe and trying to drive the family car
through the garage door to break out.
I was a regular viewer of TZ (I'm talking the original Serling series);
but I don't ever remember an episode like that. There was a TZ "escape"
episode called "Five Characters in Search of an Exit," but it wasn't an
all-American family and there was no house involved.
Post by billybonkeye
I remember watching loads of TZ and OL when i was young on late night
UK tv, but the 2 that stick in my mind as being the most scary was this
one and the monster on the aeroplane wing one. I recall it was also
getting hotter and hotter and they started to lose strength and the use
of their limbs. Towards the end they found a sticky mess coming down
the chimney into the house, the last very weird scene is a young girl
in strange (futuristic?) clothing lifted the house out of a heating
duct and the viewers realised that it was her dolls house that her
older brother had hidden away for a joke. The sticky mess was a candy
bar that had fallen in with the house and melted over it. We then saw
that the family inside were actually dolls and that their loss of limb
movement was because they were melting!
Can't have been TZ. Had to have been OL. Though the ending is similar
to the TZ episode I mentioned.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
John
2006-09-11 18:16:17 UTC
Post by billybonkeye
I remember watching loads of TZ and OL when i was young on late night
UK tv, but the 2 that stick in my mind as being the most scary was this
one and the monster on the aeroplane wing one. I recall it was also
getting hotter and hotter and they started to lose strength and the use
of their limbs. Towards the end they found a sticky mess coming down
the chimney into the house, the last very weird scene is a young girl
in strange (futuristic?) clothing lifted the house out of a heating
duct and the viewers realised that it was her dolls house that her
older brother had hidden away for a joke. The sticky mess was a candy
bar that had fallen in with the house and melted over it. We then saw
that the family inside were actually dolls and that their loss of limb
movement was because they were melting!
Ive seen it on British telly too and was one of the episodes that stuck in
my mind as well - not sure whether it was Outer Limits or Twighlight Zone
but definitely not of either of the modern versions!
c***@webtv.net
2006-09-11 20:18:59 UTC
I think you are confusing 2 or 3 shows or episodes and putting them
together. As Steven stated there was the TZ of "5 Characters In Search
of An Exit". There was also a TZ episode where a man went to a museum
and watched a dollhouse where the dolls "came alive" and acted out a
scene. I forgot what it was called and the man was someone famous but
can't think of who it was. At the end he became one of the dolls because
he fell in love with the young lady doll. It was one of the hour long
episodes. There was also TZ episode where a man and wife wake up in a
strange house after a drunken night and find a deserted town. At the
end, a giant girl picks them up and her mother tells her she can't play
with her Earth pets until after dinner.
Then there was "Land of the Giants". 4 men, 2 women, one boy and a
dog all crashed in their saucer shaped space ship on a planet of giants.
I've seen all the old TZ and OL episodes and most of the new ones and
have never seen an episode exactly like the one you describe. I may not
be good with names but I tend to remember storylines and details.

:)
Big Fat Guy
:)
John
:)
billybonkeye
2006-09-12 08:21:26 UTC
Thanks for the comments, you are correct that some of these shows do
blend into one memory, but im definate that im thinking of one
particular episode. I admit it may not have been Twilight or Outer
limits, but definately a show of the same genre.

I had a look at the TZ episode 'Miniature' and i can see the
resemblance, but the one im thinking of was in colour as i remember the
garish coloured clothing they all wore, (very late 60's/early 70's tv.)
Another scene i remember was they suddenly realised their little girl
was missing, but they could hear her voice, turned out she had squeezed
down between the side of the house and the metal ' wall '. The gap was
about 18 inches and the parents spent some time trying to get her to
squeeze back inside the house. I also recall the dad tying some wooden
planks to the front of his car before trying to bust his way out the
garage doors. The garage doors collapsed but he was devestated to see
that the metal ' wall ' was still standing firm. I also remember him
swinging away with some sort of fire axe.

As for LOST, yes its too simple a solution, but it sort of ties in with
the ' (being inside a) snowglobe' comments. Im sure im way of the mark,
but its a nice change from the more popular (and likely) theories.

Im going to try and find out what this programme was called, maybe it
was only on UK tv, though it was an american show, and thanks John for
remembering the same thing i do!

BB
billybonkeye
2006-09-12 08:29:43 UTC
I do also seem to recall that at the end there was an appearance by the
bigger family, as the little brother had hidden the girls dolls house
and was argueing with the girl and the mother. And the family inside
the house definately had no idea that they were, in fact, dolls.

BB
Steven L.
2006-09-12 15:20:57 UTC
Post by billybonkeye
Thanks for the comments, you are correct that some of these shows do
blend into one memory, but im definate that im thinking of one
particular episode. I admit it may not have been Twilight or Outer
limits, but definately a show of the same genre.
I had a look at the TZ episode 'Miniature' and i can see the
resemblance, but the one im thinking of was in colour as i remember the
garish coloured clothing they all wore, (very late 60's/early 70's tv.)
OK. Now we know it wasn't an original Serling TZ episode, since all of
those episodes were filmed in black-and-white only.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
c***@webtv.net
2006-09-12 15:02:25 UTC
dumpstered posted:

]I believe the TZ episode you're
]discussing is called "Miniature" starring
]Robert Duvall.

]There was also a TZ episode where a
]man went to a museum and watched a
]dollhouse where the dolls "came alive"
]and acted out a scene. I forgot what it
]was called and the man was someone
]famous but can't think of who it was. At
]the end he became one of the dolls
]because he fell in love with the young
]lady doll. It was one of the hour long
]episodes.

Thanks Guy, that's the one. It drives me nuts when I can't think of
names and it happens more and more often it seems. lol

;-)
PM
2006-09-11 17:18:54 UTC
Post by billybonkeye
[...]
There was an X-Files episode kind of like this....very late in the
show's run. It involved a hospital that was actually a dollhouse or
something. It was a pretty bad episode (as most of the later ones were).
Will Bradshaw
2006-09-11 17:55:02 UTC
Post by billybonkeye
Does anyone recall an episode of one of the above where an all
american family woke up and found that their house seemed to be
surrounded by some sort of concrete/metal container? It gave me the
creeps. They spent the whole episode trying to get out of the doors
and windows, using amongst other things an axe and trying to drive
the family car through the garage door to break out.
I've only watched a few episodes of the Twilight Zone and none of Outer
Limits (both before my time), but I do remember a similar episode of Are you
afraid of the dark? (Link below) I remember finding that one quite scary. I
think the idea is a bit too simple for lost though.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0514413/
Winston
2006-09-11 21:39:02 UTC
It sounds like a good episode. I love those that stick with you for a
long time. I'm sure the writers of that episode would be flattered to
know that you remembered. It is too simple for LOST though. They have
pretty much promised us that no one thing will explain LOST. Some have
thought that maybe Lost was all in someones mind, just in the dog's
mind, and that TZ episode kindof fits in that category. They have
eliminated those type of scenarios though. Still, you never know what
they might come up with. They might bend an idea like that until it
becomes more of an original idea. I would love to see that episode of
TZ. Thanks for sharing it.
Biscuter
2006-09-18 02:31:23 UTC
Post by billybonkeye
Does anyone recall an episode of one of the above where an all american
family woke up and found that their house seemed to be surrounded by
some sort of concrete/metal container?
I do remember it!!!!

I watched it when I was a kid, but I have no clue of where to find it. If
anyone knows anything about that show, I'd be very grateful...